CNE Application (Individual Educational Activity) Approval Process
Welcome to the CNE Application for Individual Educational Activity.
The ENA Approver Unit reviews and approves nursing continuing professional development activities. Through a peer review process, ENA evaluates the quality and appropriateness of education activities that are of benefit to emergency nurses.
ANCC criteria require that organizations plan, implement and evaluate quality nursing continuing professional development activities with integrity, free from the undue influence of commercial interest organizations, ensuring integrity and independence.
The Emergency Nurses Association is accredited as an approver of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
The application form has been updated to provide clarity and reflect the new Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education. One of the biggest changes affects the disclosure of relevant financial
relationship processes. There are now two versions of the application form.
- After Jan 1, 2022, all applicants must use one of the new forms. Any application submitted using the old form will be returned.
- Applications should be submitted at least 45 days prior to activity start date. If submitted less than 45 days, the applicant will be assessed the higher late fee.
- Applications submitted with less than two weeks prior to the activity date are reviewed and approved at the discretion of the Accredited Approver Program Director and meet accreditation criteria.
- Applications must be submitted using Microsoft Word. No PDF documents will be accepted.
- Applications are screened for completeness upon receipt. If the application is incomplete applicants will be notified about the deficiencies that must be corrected before the application can be forwarded in the review and approval.
- Common reasons for incomplete applications:
- Submitted in another format other than Word
- Missing or incomplete disclosure forms
- Missing or incomplete information to be provided to learners prior to activity
- The finance department will send an invoice upon receipt of the application. The invoice will need to be paid prior to receiving the final approval for the activity.
- The fee covers the cost of the review process. It is not based on approval/or denial of an application.
- If an activity is postponed, the fee will be applied to the new activity date.
- The application fee is non-refundable.
Submitting your application
- Applications must be submitted via email to CNE@ena.org
Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Application Forms
Clinical Content (content that will include discussion of diagnostic, treatment, and nursing care of patients where an ineligible company product or service could be introduced).
- Collect information from all planners, faculty, and others who are in a position to control content. They must disclose financial relationships with ineligible companies* over the previous 24 months.
- *An ineligible company is an entity whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
Non-clinical Content (for example - leadership, professional development, and nursing self-care).
- Disclosure of financial relationship(s) information is not required for non-clinical topics.
ENA State Chapters and Councils
Please contact the ENA Approver Unit with questions and/or comments regarding the CNE application process at: CNE@ena.org or 847.460.2625